Serves 6-8 people
District Spice Poultry blend
6-8 Boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp Olive oil
Less than 1/4 cup Port or dessert wine
- Cut ends off the orange, and slice off four large wheels. Place at the bottom of a marinade pan or gallon-size freezer bag.
- Sprinkle District Spice Poultry blend over chicken, place in bag, and refrigerate for 24 hours. For best results, vacuum seal marinating container.
- Add olive oil to saute pan.
- Place chicken in pan, top with orange wheels from bag.
- Add a splash of port or dessert wine over each orange wheel.
- Cover and simmer chicken over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Check chicken to ensure it is cooked thoroughly. Remove from heat, and leave covered for five minutes.
- Serve hot.
Recommended blends: Chesapeake, Chili Dust, Creole, Currying Favor, Gyro, Montreal, Sriracha, Tuscan, Tuscan Heat
1 tbsp District Spice blend (start with 1 tsp for Sriracha)
1 lb medium-sized raw shrimp (tails removed)
2 tbsp olive oil
- Add olive oil to pan, heat until almost smoking
- Add shrimp to oil and stir, cooking until slightly pink
- Sprinkle on District Spice blend, and continue stirring until shrimp is cooked (opaque)
- Optional: Add a dash of salt
Makes 3-4 servings
2 tsp District Spice Chesapeake blend
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (full fat)
3 egg yolks
Juice from half a lemon
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Couple dashes salt
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, yolks, and lemon juice until blended.
- Heat mixture using a double boiler (if you don’t have one, place a strainer/sieve over a sauce pan of water and place bowl in the sieve, ensuring water is not high enough to spill into bowl), stirring frequently, for about 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat, until the sauce is hot, but not simmering.
- Remove from heat and stir in Chesapeake blend, mustard, and a couple dashes of salt.
- Mix well, and serve over eggs!
Chesapeake Yogurt Hollandaise, used to make Crabcake Eggs Benedict
1 tbsp District Spice Ranch blend
1 cup plain yogurt
- Combine District Spice Ranch blend and yogurt, and whisk until well-blended.
This can be prepared right before serving, but tastes best if prepared the day before, and kept in the fridge until serving. Occasional stirring may be necessary to maintain consistency, due to not using emulsifiers or other preservatives.
Makes approximately 6-8 servings
2 tbsp District Spice Montreal blend
3 lbs russet potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
Optional: 4 strips bacon (pork or vegan substitute), cooked & chopped into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces; 1 red onion, chopped and sauteed; splash dessert wine
- Combine olive oil and District Spice Montreal blend in container, and let sit for one hour. For best results, let blend infuse overnight.
- Dice potatoes into circa 1/2 inch pieces, and soak for one hour in cool water, to remove excess starch.
- Strain potatoes and allow to dry. Use a towel to pat potatoes dry as needed.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Optional: Dice red onion. Use a small amount of oil, or fat from the bacon, to caramelize the onion. For additional flavor, add some dessert wine to onions and saute until liquid is gone. Add onion to bacon, mix, and set aside.
- Toss dry potatoes in a bowl with Montreal-infused olive oil. Once coated, arrange potatoes in baking dish one layer deep. Pour any remain oil in the bowl over the potatoes.
- Bake dish for 30 minutes. Toss potatoes in dish, and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes, or until potatoes are browned.
- Optional: Sprinkle bacon/onion mixture over potatoes and continuing baking for 5 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven, and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.Montreal roasted potatoes, vegan style
Recommended blends: Gyro, Montreal, Tuscan/Tuscan Heat
Makes approximately 6-8 servings
1 tbsp District Spice blend
1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil and District Spice blend until coated.
- Spread Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet. Sprinkle on salt, as desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until roasted. Serve hot.
Brussels sprouts before oven (Montreal blend):
Finished Brussels sprouts (Montreal blend):
Makes approx. 8-10 servings
1 tsp District Spice Hand in the Cookie Jar blend
2-3 sweet potatoes
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup oats
- Bake sweet potatoes at 400 degrees F for two hours. Remove the skins and place potatoes into food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Blend butter, brown sugar, oats, and District Spice Hand in the Cookie Jar blend until well mixed.
- Pour sweet potatoes into 9×9 baking dish. Evenly spread the oat mixture over the top.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until the top caramelizes. Serve hot.